Thursday, February 4, 2010

If a manager fires me for false accusations, can I sue them?

Or the company?





For example, I work at 7 eleven and she told me yesterday that she found two empty bottles of soda, she ask me if I had done it. And I said NO, I would NEVER steal nor drink anything, I care more about my job and check then I would about a damn 2 dollar soda. So can i sue them if they fire me on false charges?





Also, she told me that the cooler has a camera which watches our every move. I recently found out from former employees that currently work their that there is NO camera in the cooler. Can they be sued if they falsely inform me about a camera being in that certain location?If a manager fires me for false accusations, can I sue them?
You can sue them both. You can also sue your co-workers.If a manager fires me for false accusations, can I sue them?
1) You can sue anyone for anything. Whether the courts will hear your case and whether you have a case are two different things. After your description, yes you can sue. No you don't have a case. Nothing has happened yet! You haven't been fired yet.





2) No. Former employees do not know EVERYTHING. Again, how were you harmed?





Sounds like you need a better job than 7-11 offers you.
Sure you can sue them. It is a basic principle of law that anyone can sue anyone for anything.





What you can't do is win.





Your employer is perfectly within their rights to fire you on suspicion only, even if they are wrong. They are also within their rights to try to deter thefts by falsely claiming that they have security measures in place that they don't have.





If you sue you will lose, and you might even be sanctioned by being required to pay your employers legal bills, because your suit would be considered ';frivolous'; - ie it has no basis in law.,





Richard
You can't do this case in Small Claims Court which cost $35. You would pay an attorney $5,000 and the case would take 18 months. They would swear that you are a ';Soda Stealer';. You would swear that you are not. The judge would make a decision. You could win some money for the false accusations since you are not a thief.
The camera or lack of a camera means nothing. As to getting fired, if you have a contract that provides for limited grounds for firing, then you can enforce it. Otherwise, if you are free to quit at any time, then the employer is likewise free to terminate the relationship at any time and for any reason.
No. Most states have laws that allow firing without cause.


You do not have a case, even though your feelings/pride are injured.


Former employees that currently work there?


Lying about a camera is not cause to sue.


Perhaps you should look for another job.
Let it go . Why would you want to go back?

No comments:

Post a Comment