Sunday, February 7, 2010

Do I have any legal recourse? I was fired for talking about hockey, then my supe made false statements bout me

I worked as a temp for a lrg Pharmaceutical comp. as an admin. asst. for 6 mos. I am a SJ Sharks fan %26amp; there are a few employees who are fans too, so as you can guess there's alot of hockey talk in the workplace. It's been slow %26amp; there isn't much work, when I get it I finish it quickly. My supe is not a hockey fan and after having 3 SHORT conversations bout hockey, I was on a biz call and the cust asked me bout the playoffs %26amp; in the middle of my conversation my supe walked over to me and emphatically told me that she was sick of hearing me talk about hockey. I had to cut my biz call short, %26amp; she told me that any hockey related conversations have to be done outside. I told her it was an unreasonable request and that we should talk about. She told me her decision is not negotiable. I told her I couldn't abide by it, so she showed me the door.


I just found out that my supe made false accusations bout me to the temp agncy, now I can't work at that company %26amp; I won't be get good assignmnts.Do I have any legal recourse? I was fired for talking about hockey, then my supe made false statements bout me
by saying that you could not abide by it it is considered insubordination and grounds for immediate dismissalDo I have any legal recourse? I was fired for talking about hockey, then my supe made false statements bout me
I would say no to the legal recourse. You said yourself that she emphatically told you she was tired of it. The first mistake was telling her that you found her request unreasonable it gave her just cause to let you go.





She may have wanted you out anyway, and as for things she told the temp agency they may have embellishments of the truth.
Considering that you state that ';there isn't much work, when I get it I finish it quickly,'; it sounds like you DO need guidance and show a lack of initiative. Instead of quickly finishing the small amount of work they gave you and then chatting with your co-workers, you should have asked your boss for more work to do. That would be showing initiative.
you screwed up. You have no rights when you are a temp - they can end your assignment anytime you want - the client probably told the tempo agency you refused to obey her orders - He/she did nothing wrong - you did - think before you speak next time
No, you don't have any legal recourse, and wouldn't even if you weren't a temp. The supervisor was within her rights to file you. She didn't even need a reason, like the talking about hockey.
Sorry hon, I don't think you have a case. Arguing with your boss is always a sure way to get fired. Good luck on your next job though.
You want me to feel sorry cause you told your boss to shove it..........sorry...........you got what you deserved........you were warned.................

No comments:

Post a Comment